Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Stream of Annihilation Thoughts

Wizard's latest announcement is a cross-media event this summer called the Stream of Annihilation. Part of the event is the unveiling of their newest story line product for the season. Given all the hints (the logo), prior build up (Tales from the Yawning Portal) and an upcoming Driz'zt novel by R.A. Salvatore involving Acererak as the antagonist, how can anybody not assume this Wizards rally is going to be about the Tomb of Horrors?

My rant is that Wizards has become extra lazy if this is true. The Tomb of Horrors has become its own brand over the editions in that any time the fan favorite dungeon or its parts are featured, people will automatically buy it up. Nevermind that it's in the Forgotten Realms too (sorry DMGuild writers), ToH does predate Greyhawk though it's long been associated until now. Now don't get me wrong, I like Acererak and the Tomb, but before Yawning Portal we got Return to the Tomb of Horrors boxed set, a Tomb of Horrors novel, and at least two other Tomb sequels since 4th Edition. Oh yeah and it's in the novel Ready Player One. Basically, Tomb has transcended Greyhawk long ago so I'm more upset with the glut not the property itself.

This is a problem with being an older gamer, I like the nostalgia a lot and I like the exposure for the classics to new audiences, but damn this feels more like a cash grab to me because I already got all this other Tomb stuff. Was I asking for more? No, I'm asking for more Greyhawk, or Darksun or Dragonlance, hell, more Spelljammer. Fingers crossed that Stream of Annihilation wows me.

One last thing: Mike Mearls did an AMA on Reddit yesterday, and this question caught my eye (of course):

What's your favorite campaign setting that hasn't been heavily featured in 5e yet?
Greyhawk! Eberron runs a close second.

Sure Mike, Sure.

3 comments:

Zudrak (Michael G.) said...

Mordenkainen to Wizards of the Remake:

"Set me free, why don't ya, babe? You just keep me hanging on."

"Also, give me my hair back."

Bryan "Saracensu" Blumklotz said...

Sorry man, but it looks like the new adventure will be set in Chult (Forgotten Realms). If you are unfamiliar, that is a southern jungle infested land... But the good news is dinosaurs!

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?4145-Stream-of-Annihilation-Preview-DINOSAURS%21#.WSjhcGjytPZ

SADLOVE said...

Well I agree with most of the above, lichdom was never a guarantee in 2E. Death Knights were either cursed humans or made by Demogorgon, and so Animus is different cause its a condition kinda forced on the GK nobility/military by Ivid.



** สล็อต ออนไลน์ ได้ เงิน จริง**
** goldenslot mobile**