Thursday, April 21, 2016

Castle Greyhawk: Coins and Conversations

Welcome Greyhawk readers! Well I did it again, I'm a week behind in promoting chapter four in our ongoing Castle Greyhawk graphic novel. Check out page two to see some sly scripting by fantasy alumn Scott Casper. On our site you can also check the archives and follow the entire Castle Greyhawk story from the very beginning.

Artist's Commentary: So here I am in the middle of finishing a very frustrating page three (tune in to see why) when I realize I haven't yet commented on page two! Yeah it's been a busy, but fun week. This page was an utter delight to draw. Scott had some great effects, angles and composition ideas and they all flowed from words to page perfectly. The coins flipping on the table was so good I had to clip it to use in the blog. Astute readers will notice the orbs on the coin correspond to the heraldry of the city of Greyhawk.

The stranger framed by Ehlissa's arms and body was a nice touch and I tried much harder than normal to get variable thickness in my line art on that panel. As for the rest, I think I nailed the comfort of them sitting at a small, cozy table, It's purely random how I chose stools vs chairs too. The Green Dragon Inn is apparently a mish-mash of seating. Lastly, I am already starting to love drawing Ehlissa's barmaid garb. It's simple looking but complex, much like her.

Now back to work on page three. Let's hope I can keep the magic going...

2 comments:

Mystic Scholar said...

The story grows more mysterious and the artwork continues to improve.

Scott said...

Ah...good times!